Roll Handling Equipment
Roll handling is the process of moving variously sized rolls of material in a manufacturing environment. Rolls of paper, cable, chain, insulation, plastic, and other materials must be wound, unwound, sliced, and transported safely throughout manufacturing and shipping processes. To perform these tasks, many types of roll handling equipment are used, such as hydraulic manipulators, lifts, carts, and grippers.
While the equipment varies in design and lifting capabilities, they all ensure a safe working environment for personnel and minimize losses due to roll damage. Roll handling applications can be simple or complex depending on the length, width, and material used. Unidex provides standard and custom-developed solutions for even the most complex roll handling jobs.
Benefits of Roll Handling Equipment
Automated roll handling equipment provides numerous benefits, including:
- Limited human interaction. Roll handling automation reduces the amount of human intervention required, decreasing the likelihood of injury.
- Reduced expenses due to automation. Automation delivers savings in labor costs and also increases production capabilities.
- Multitasking capabilities. Programming roll handling equipment for multitasking increases throughout.
What to Consider While Choosing Roll Handling Equipment
When choosing which type of roll handling equipment is right for your application, certain key features should be considered. Safety is a primary concern, and equipment should ensure workers arcananeuver rolls safely and easily. Premium handling equipment can help prevent life-threatening accidents and also deliver improved equipment longevity. Another key consideration is the dimensions of your product, as well as its material. This will help narrow down which type of equipment is most suitable.
Other factors to consider include:
- Telescoping requirements
- Ease of use
- Equipment footprint
Types of Roll Handling Equipment
Unidex offers several types of roll handling equipment including:
- Air over oil lift (AOL) hydraulic manipulator: Mounted on a portable base, this equipment features a rigid core to pick and place rolls up to 75lbs.
- Rotating, multi-roll carts: Available in several configurations and maximum weight limits, including a maximum of 500 lbs.
- Manual push carts: Features a cradle for heavy rolls up to 48 inches in diameter and 84 inches in length, with a weight capacity of 1500 lbs.
- Lifts: Our PE Model lift features a power lift and manual push. It can include an air-powered push plate for unloading and has a maximum weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- Manual core gripper: Features retractable steel teeth and provides manual 90-degree rotation.
- Powered core gripper: Features a power grip and power upend. This equipment lifts and rotates rolls up to 350 lbs down onto a pallet.
- Stainless steel equipment: For clean room, pharmaceutical, or food grade environments.
- Overhead-supported manipulators: Ideal for tight spaces, this equipment is supported by an overhead bridge crane and is customizable to your exact specifications.
In addition to our selection of standard equipment, we also work with customers to develop customized solutions for challenging roll handling applications.
Roll Handling Equipment by Unidex
Unidex offers a comprehensive catalog of roll handling equipment for even the most complicated jobs. Our product selection accomplishes tasks such as:
- Adding or removing shafts and machines from rolls
- Picking up rolls and placing them
- Turning rolls 90 degrees, either gripping from the outside or core of the roll
- Performing complicated tasks with challenging materials, roll sizes, and locations
Unidex has over 20 years of experience in developing high-performing handling equipment for a global customer base. Our dedication to quality and innovation allows us to provide solutions for diverse roll handling applications.
High-performing Roll Handling Solutions From Unidex
Proper roll handling equipment is crucial for ensuring workplace safety as well as efficient manufacturing and shipping capabilities. Unidex offers a comprehensive catalog of roll handling equipment to meet a wide range of needs. To learn more about our product offerings, contact us today.